Saturday, November 6, 2010

"There's a Beckett on my face"

Kids do the darndest things, an old saying goes. One of Beckett's favorite funny things lately involves applying his mouth to my cheek or my chin or along my jawline. Sometimes he just tongues me a little. Sometimes he bites down with his two little teeth (not the most comfortable feeling...) And sometimes he starts sucking. On my chin. I think it's actually his form of kissing right now. But it has become quite a game for us. It tickles, and my view is of his big eyes and the top of his head is so funny that it makes me laugh a lot. I've taken to doing a fake scream--a rather mild and quiet "Ahhh," and then I say, "There's a Beckett on my face!" And we both laugh. I don't know that this will be a long-lasting game, but he's been doing it for about a month now. We'll see how long I can handle the biting part. :)
It makes me glad I've given extra thought since he was born into what I am willing to put on my skin. I feel pretty good knowing that my bare minerals makeup has a very low number rating on the Environmental Working Group's cosmetics database. The database is one of the favorite new online tools I've found to help me evaluate products that I use every day. It's not infallible: sometimes I have looked up products that should probably have a lower hazard rating because the labels specifically rule out contaminants that the rating system is still including in its factoring. But overall it is extremely helpful, especially when it comes to avoiding a few of the ingredients that seem to be the worst offenders. Like parabens and phthalates, both of which are commonly used in beauty products.
Parabens are apparently used as a sort of antimicrobial ingredient, so that products last longer. Phthalates are used in fragrance cocktails, nail polishes, and a host of other things, and they help to preserve the fragrance. I don't know that I've read what they are meant to do in the other products. But they are also used in some kinds of plastics. Now, there are several different kinds of parabens and phthalates, and they each have varying levels of toxicity. But none are really very good. Some contribute to cancer, some can change hormones, some can damage organ systems. Here's a look at one, for example: dibutyl phthalate. It has the highest toxicity rating on the database. And it's in nail polishes. (Turns out most nail polishes are pretty awful health-wise.) But other types of phthalates are used in lotions, washes, and many other things... without ever appearing on the label because they are part of the fragrance blend that companies can conceal to keep them proprietary. Parabens are a bit more straightforward, and are usually listed among ingredients.
For people concerned about increasing exposure to toxic chemicals, parabens and phthalates are some of the top on the list to avoid. One of my favorite new sites, Healthy Child, Healthy World, lists them among a few other ingredients to avoid in personal care products if you want to minimize your own exposure. Now, it's not as if your one favorite lotion with methylparaben is going to get you in your sleep. But, the problem is a lifetime of exposure to not one but maybe 20 or 30 or 40 products that all have these ingredients. When I looked through my bathroom and shower, I found many. For instance: my body wash... a couple of lotions. My chapstick (which is actually ubiquitous in my house, so that I can use it all the time.)





Fortunately, there are some good products out there that are made paraben free and phthalate free. I found some new soap for the shower, and new lotion. And guess what: they still smell pretty nice, and they still get me clean and soft.



And, what's even better... they will hopefully not interfere with a long and healthy life for either me or my little skin-sucking baby boy. Maybe his whole world won't be safe to put in his mouth, but I'd like it if just my chin could be.
What about you...? Are there any products you've ever been concerned about putting on yourself, or your child coming into contact with?

1 comment:

  1. Life-changing those babies. Jennie has always teased us that we were "such the hippies". We just wanted everything to be safe and as pure as possible. Beckett's kisses will be like that for awhile. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete