Sunday, June 24, 2012

How to give more and make less

Some good friends and James and I were talking last 2 weeks ago about giving, and about how God's call to be generous givers plays out in our daily lives, budgeting plans, etc.

I was inspired by a video story of Alan Barnhart that our friend Brian sent out for all of us to view in advance.  I've heard of the idea of a salary cap, or a "finish line," as Alan Barnhart calls it. I think I remember reading about it in a book by Ron Sider in college; if I recall, a salary cap was one of Sider's suggested strategies for making giving a way of life. That is, for sure, what Barnhart's story demonstrates is possible.

As I watched the video, I was really struck by Barnhart's example, and by how much he and his family have been able to give and accomplish. I also found myself thinking--wow--I wish I made your salary cap! Just being honest... Maybe it's being a church worker, maybe it's living in California where the cost of living is so high that the same amount gets you half the distance. (I know, we live in a paradise, but still, it does have its challenges.)

But as I tried to think about how we would practically put that in place even in our salary ranges, should we decide to, I got a little stymied. How would we decide how much we would need? How would we adjust for any future kids we might have? How/should we plan to adjust for inflation? Where do savings, retirement, and college funds fit in?

I did really like Barnhart's observation that they were able to prevent their children from experiencing the hardships of growing up rich. I really appreciated that way of thinking about it. Jesus did say it would be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to put their stock first in the kingdom of heaven...
I'm curious if anybody out there has any specific tools or worksheets to suggest how to work though these questions?

And at the same time, I already find myself bumping up against my own internal resistance. I grew up feeling like I couldn't ask my parents for new clothes even though mine didn't fit right. I always tried to order the cheapest item on the menu at restaurants so that I wouldn't place stress on my parents' pocketbooks. I grew up feeling like we weren't really poor, but we weren't really comfortable, either. My parents helped to pay for college when I was in it, but I had no college fund. I always thought things would be different once I got older, and I don't like the idea of feeling financially strapped. I want to have margins. I want a buffer between me and inability to provide for our kids. Right now we don't have a very big one, and it already makes me nervous sometimes. At the same time, I also don't feel the need to work full time while the kids are little or decide not to have any more kids simply because we might be a little less comfortable in the process of providing. Hmm. Even using that word makes me think--do I really believe that God is the one providing for me, and for the kids?
I feel challenged about this. I'm glad this group of friends is going to be continuing this conversation through the summer months. My prayer today is that I will care more about being financially obedient to God and compassionate toward others than about being financially comfortable. I'm not there yet. But I pray that it can become my internal posture.

No comments:

Post a Comment